ECOBANK The Pan African Bank

ECOBANK The Pan African Bank
... Explore unlimited possiblities with Ecobank Digital *326#

Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

IBIYEMI-THE SOUL DIVA'S INTERVIEW



'
What is your full (birth) name?
Ibiyemi Jasmine Ajakaiye
Tell us about your family and educational background: Where did you go to school? What did you study at the university? Are you married/single? When were you born?
I was born on the 22nd of May,in California, U.S.A to the family of Ambassador and Mrs. Ajakaiye of Mopa, in Kogi State. I am the 8th of 11 children.
I began my Primary Education at St. Gabriel’s Private School, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago and then on to Airforce Primary School, Victoria Island, Lagos. I attended Federal Government Girls College, New Bussa, Niger State and completed my secondary education at Government Secondary School, Bwari, FCT.
I obtained an O.N.D in Business Administration from Yaba College of Technology
I studied Economics at the University of Abuja
I am single
What are your hobbies?
Listening to Music, Reading, Surfing the Internet, Watching Romantic Comedies
What influenced your love for music?
I have loved music for as long as I can remember, I was drawn to it, however, growing up in a house filled with music definitely helped to nurture that love.
When did you decide to go into music professionally?
In 2003 I began to consider music as a career.
How long have you been into music?
I have been into music all my life. I sang in several church and school choirs over the years including
Chosen Treasure of House on The Rock Lagos, Original Love Choir of Yaba College of Technology.I began singing professionally in 2003.I served as a backup vocalist for several artistes. In 2005 I became the lead singer of a band known as the Obaf Music band, performing timeless classics four nights a week at the then Le’meridien Hotel, Abuja. (Now Nicon Luxury Hotel). I recorded and released my first single ‘Can you love me’ which was included in the Original Soundtrack for the Nollywood Production “Caught in the middle which starred Richard Mofe Damijo and Dakore Egbuson. It was also used as a soundtrack for the Television soap ‘168’. My second single ‘Don’t Leave Me’ was released in Aug ’09 and earned a Best Vocal Performance by a Female Nomination in the just concluded Hip Hop World Awards 2010.
Do you play any musical instrument?
No, but I am learning to play one.
What genre of music do you play?
Soul
Who are your major musical influences?
My major musical Influences include: Mary J Blige, Tracy Chapman, Lauryn Hill, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder
When did you release your single or when do you plan to release it?
I have just released my latest single and its titled ‘Ore’ which is a Yoruba word meaning ‘Friend’.
When will your album come out? What should we expect from it? How many tracks will be on it?
My Album will be released in August 2010. It’s a collection of Songs that reflect on true love, be it Romantic, or between friends or family. It has 13 tracks and it’s called ‘LOVE ALWAYS WINS’.
Have you ever performed at any show? If yes, which ones?
I have performed at a number of shows, most recent was a freestyle session with Asa at her homecoming concert held at the Coral Reef, as well as Opening for Femi Kuti at his Grammy Nomination Celebration Concert at Tribeca, V/I.
However, my most notable performance yet, is when I had the singular honour and privilege of performing the national anthem before thousands at the Presidential Inaugural Ceremony, May 29, 2007 at the Eagle Square in Abuja.
Are you on any record label or are you working towards it? If yes, which one?
I am an Independent Artiste
Are you backed by any PR firm or management company?
Yes. I am backed by a PR firm called SoftMedia
How do you finance your musical career?
Have you always been doing music professionally? If no, what other business were you into?
I started doing music professionally while studying in school. I have also done professional Event Planning and Coordination for many years.
Right now, is music a full time job? If no, what is your current line of business?
Music is a full time job, however I still do a bit of Event Planning, which is another passion of mine.
How far do you plan to take your music? Is it something you want to continue doing with or without immediate success?
I derive utmost joy and fulfillment from recording and performing. Music is an integral part of who I am and I will continue to make music as long as I have life. For me, success means being heard. My goal is to reach wider audiences.

1 comment:

Lerato said...

Such a simplistic yet yielding write up, would she be willing to perform at a Gospel Concert in Nigeria???

Maestro, would appreciate contact details if yes.